Already our Defender 90 had been through a lot. A full service career with the Italian Carabinieri, re-imported to the United Kingdom, exported to British Columba Canada and then a major engine over haul and upgrade. This little Defender had seen it all on both sides of the world so far.
Our intention was always to be respectful to the brand, to the heritage and to the vehicle by not doing too much in the way of cutting, chopping and going over the top.
Part of our self brief was to do work on our vehicle that:
- Respected the original vehicle.
- Preserved what we had.
- Cut & drilled as little as possible.
- Not created a vehicle that was far from original specifications.
- Adapted it for our needs.
- Helped preserve the longevity and retain value.
What we wanted was a vehicle that had the following characteristics:
- Has forms of protection.
- Awesome tires.
- Good suspension.
- Good storage.
- Capable of long overland journeys.
- Highly capable off road.
- Made us smile every time we drive it.
What we have ended up with is a long list of very cool but well thought out additions or upgrades that enhance the vehicle in terms of practicality, form and function but retains it's original looks.
The very last thing we wanted was a huge lift, massive tires, great strain and stress on an older vehicle.
The true reality is that an old Defender 90 is an exceptionally capable vehicle stock and straight from the factory. There is something about driving a vehicle using pure technique with amazing old mechanical technology and not relying on electronic traction aids (not that there is anything wrong with them..)
A huge thanks must go to friends, colleagues, mentors that helped advise, helped build and give feed back to make it possible. Fred Monsees, Sean Gorman, Tim Scully, David Rees, Jim West, Ray Hyland, Paul Cooper, Matt Kerr & Don Macdonald.
- WARN Zeon 8S Winch & Fairlead.
- Terrafirma Pro Taper HD Winch Bumper.
- Factor 55 Flatlink Expert.
- ARB Awning.
- Flat Dog Ladder.
- Flat Dog Rear Swing Tire & Hi-Lift Carrier.
- Hi-Lift Jack.
- Terrafirma Bumperettes.
- Transport Canada / ICBC mandated 3rd Break Light.
- Terrafirma HD Sliders (tree kick outs).
- Treeline Tamarack Constellation Roof Top Tent.
- FrontRunner Slimline 2 Roof Rack.
- Sceptre Fuel & Water Jerry Cans.
- The Perfect Co-Pilot / Navigator / Moral Builder / Activity Co-ordinator.
- Devon 4x4 Twin Battery Tray.
- 2 x PC1500 Odyessy Batteries.
- Dual Battery Solenoid & Wiring.
- ARB 24 Spline Banjo Rear Air Locking Differential.
- 300tdi Pyrometer.
- Terrafirma 300tdi HD Hoses.
- VDO Pyrometer Gauge.
- VDO Water Temperature Gauge.
- Icom VHF.
- Series Defender Carling Switch Holder.
- Carling Wiper Washer & Spotlight Switch.
- ARB Rear Air Locker & Compressor Switches.
- Bluesea USB.
- Land Rover Factory HD Floor Mats.
- Factory Original Carabinieri Safety Sticker (shame to remove history...).
- ARB 50 Quart Fridge.
- ARB Fridge Slide.
- Custom Made Drawer & Storage.
- ARB / WARN / Red Winches / Factor 55 Recovery Gear.
- Custom Amsteel Blue Recovery Gear.
- On Board Air Outlet.
- ARB CKMA12 Compressor.
- ARB Air Tank.
- ARB Braided Air Hoses.
- Blue Sea Auxillary Fuse Panel.
- ARB Safari Snorkel.
- FrontRunner Snow Cover (on cabin air intake).
- FrontRunner Aluminium HD Steering Guard.
- ARB OME Steering Damper.
- General Tire Grabber X3 33" Tires.
- ARB OME 2" HD Springs & Shocks.